Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Yes! We Got a McCain Voter!!!

Finally, a John McCain supporter has voiced his or her opinion in the Citizen presidential election poll (on the right-hand panel of the page for those who haven't seen it). 

I have to admit I'm not shocked that so far the vast majority of those who have responded to the poll plan to vote for Obama. Most of you probably either already know, because you know me, or have figured out by reading the blog that I am an Obama supporter. If you didn't, now you do. Many (though certainly not all) of the friends that were among the group I chose as a kind of beta test audience for Citizen I also knew to be Obama supporters.

However, I take pains when writing to not favor one candidate or party over the other, because I really want Citizen to be a place where people of varying beliefs can come together and learn from one another. In my posts thus far I've criticized the McCain campaign and the GOP but also chided Obama and his campaign, as well as other Democrats. A good citizen keeps an open mind, and above all wants to help solve the nation's problems through active engagement in the political process. Blind partisanship and slavish devotion to ideological purity are not looked upon kindly here. 

So I'm very glad that a McCain voter has visited and voted in the poll. I hope more McCain supporters show up regularly -- and that they and others contribute to Citizen by posting comments. The exchange of ideas will only help all of us be better citizens. 

No comments: