Sunday, October 5, 2008

McCain and Obama: the Best America Has To Offer?

I was just reading an article in the Week In Review section of today's Times, about the changing role of the vice presidency, and was struck by the following passage:
The next president will face challenges probably not equaled since Franklin Roosevelt took the oath in 1933. Two wars, an economy in crisis, an energy emergency, destructive partisanship, frayed alliances overseas — all add up to a burden that will be tough for any new president to tackle alone.
It's hard to disagree with this sentiment, and it gets me to thinking:

Are these the best candidates America has to offer?

Each of the major-party presidential candidates has at least one serious deficiency. Most of the elections in my lifetime have also been contests between similarly imperfect candidates, but I can't help but feel that the problem is getting worse with time. The situation is particularly troubling now, with our nation facing a wider array of serious problems than at any time I can remember. And it's noone's fault but our own. As citizens we need to be more engaged in public affairs and demand better of our leaders. Until we do, we'll get the government we deserve.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've long thought the two party system was flawed and its unfortunate that voting outside the two major parties is the equivalent to "throwing your vote away". Discussions between Dems and Reps have become so partisan its akin to the homerism that took part in debates between Yankee fans and BoSox fans about who the better shortstop was. Jeter or Nomaaahhh.

Anonymous said...

I agree about the two party system being flawed. I actually have "thrown my vote away" for the past FOUR presidential elections, in an effort to voice my displeasure and an attempt to get more funding for third party candidates.

But honestly, no system is perfect. When there are multiple viable parties there is still disenchantment. Instead of the country being bitterly divided and electing a president 51%/49%, now the country is bitterly fractured and you have presidents elected with 34% of the vote and drawn out run-off elections. (I'm thinking of stories I've read about elections in Spain where there are many functioning parties.)